When I watch the news these days, I gravitate between the excitement that we MUST be close to Jesus' return and the horror of watching spineless politicians allow the current administration to do as it pleases.
But the law is the law, and the President is sworn to uphold the law. His violation upset those in congress so much that they impeached him!
In the impeachment trial, Johnson's adversaries accused him of "bringing into disgrace, ridicule, hatred, contempt, and reproach the Congress of the United States" through certain controversial speeches he made. (Sound familiar?)
The impeachment conviction vote fell short--by one vote--of the two-thirds majority needed to convict Johnson; therefore he was judged not guilty and remained in office.
Interestingly, fifty-one years later, the U.S. Supreme Court declared the Tenure of Office Act unconstitutional in its ruling in Myers v. United States.
Now fast-forward to today. How many laws has ourPresident ignored? Well, too many to list, but for starters:
* He lied about protecting our Ambassador and staff in Benghazi;
* He ordered the IRS to harass political opponents;
* He made illegal recess appointments;
* He broke legally binding contracts to give unions in the auto industry political paybacks.
* He appointed Czars to circumvent the legislative confirmation process;
* He enacted birth control and abortion mandates against the religious views of over half the country.
* His out-of-control debt spending has added trillions to the deficit and is likely ruining our monetary system.
Not to mention the scores of broken campaign promises, arrogance and class warfare. So this begs the question:
Where is the obvious call for impeachment? 150 years ago Obama would be run out of Washington on a rail. Today, spineless politicians do nothing.
Bill Perkins is the founder and Executive Director of Compass International, Inc.
© Copyright 1993-2014, Compass International Inc. www.compass.org / 800-977-2177
The above article may be forwarded in its entirety (including credits) without permission.
To sign up for our FREE Monthly Compass eNews with updates on future Bible conferences, Bible trips, specials on DVD Bible studies and an eye-opening look at a hot topic Click Here
For more info or to sign up for our provocative FREE Good Morning Lord! Daily Devotional Email Click Here
For more information on our life-impacting Biblelands Trips Click Here